Comments to this post are moderated and are being kept private, to make sure your questions can be anonymous.
As those of you who are still reading my blog at this point are no doubt aware, substantial content posts have been few and far between here since, oh, January or February, when business in my shop began approaching and then surpassing $2,000 per month. This was, of course, really great (and is the reason I was able to quit my day job), however as a result of my having had to juggle my shopkeeper and spirit work responsibilities with still going to said day job (up until a week ago), my writing took a serious hit, and as a result of that, I went from having over 1,000 blog subscribers in November to a little under 750 now. I am painfully aware that quite a few people unsubbed as a result of my daily shop promotion coupled with lack of other content, but there was very little I could do about that while I was still at the day job, since I was already working about 18 hours per day between that and the store, and barely keeping up with orders and inventory even at that. April was a spectacular month for sales, but it left the store (particularly the jewelry section) feeling a bit picked-over, something I am working hard at remedying right now. (After a week of working on the store full time and gaining a new appreciation of the kind of time it takes—even doing it full time requires a lot more than most people who aren’t running a business would consider full time hours–I am seriously in awe of the fact that I was able to do both jobs for any length of time at all, and I realize I have only Odin to thank for that. I’m also absolutely certain I could not do it again. The last couple of months have been sheer hell and a couple of weeks more of my two jobs routine would have likely sent me to the hospital, or worse.)
Now that I’m no longer tied to a day job, in addition to working on inventory and new product development I also need to work on getting this blog back up to speed—to begin restoring it to its former glory, as it were—since I’m aware that my writing is one of the reasons for the success of my shop in the first place, and doing PR and outreach on behalf of Odin and the Aesir is technically part of my Job. (It’s a job duty that was relaxed a bit while I was trying to balance two jobs–but that’s no longer the case.) Towards that end, I could really use some help from you guys, my core readers who have stuck with me through the lean times. Some of you might remember when I was running an “Ask me about Odin” series here a year or two ago, wherein you could comment or email me with a question about my Beloved and I would answer it here on the blog (assuming it was something I’m Allowed to reveal). Well, I’ve decided to try a similar exercise now, in the hopes of getting enough writing prompts to keep me going for a while. (I’m doing a boatload of crafting right now—have to get that inventory up!–and when I’m concentrating on Making it can be difficult to switch gears and write, so I’m hoping having a list of topics to go to will help me with consistently getting new material written as I am able to carve out time to do so.)
However, unlike with the “Ask me about Odin” series, this time you can literally ask me anything at all, and I will use your question as the basis for a post. I do reserve the right not to answer some questions (as there are some things I am not Allowed to discuss publicly), however I probably will choose to answer most serious questions, especially if I think the answer might help some of my other readers.
The list of topics you can ask me questions about includes, but is not limited to:
- Odin, of course—either general facts about Him, questions about practice such as how to start working with Him and challenges I’ve encountered, or questions about my relationship with Him. (Again, there may be some things I’m unable to answer, but most questions are fair game.)
- Northern polytheism/heathen practice, including how to get started, rituals, ethics, etc.
- Other Powers I work with or am familiar enough with to write about, including but not limited to: Gunnlod, Frigga, Loki, Bestla, Mimir, the Wild Hunt, Thor, Bragi, Idunna, etc.
- Asgard and its culture, customs, and history.
- Spirit work topics, including astral journeying, horsing, oracular seidhr, energy work, automatic writing, meditation, dreamwork, living a parallel life on the astral, and path walking.
- Divination (reading runes, Tarot, Lenormand cards, etc.)
- Magickal techniques (candle magick, knot magick, rune magick, and herbal magick being the categories I have the most experience with)
- Sacred queenship
- Crafting, and/or running a handmade business. (I will not answer questions such as where I specifically buy my supplies—this is a sensitive topic among Makers, as we literally spend hours shopping for suppliers and it’s not easy finding good ones—but I can answer questions such as how do you get started, how do I make Xthing, or how do you find the time for crafting, as well as questions about specific crafts I do, such as spinning, soapmaking, candlemaking, etc.)
- Godspousery and religious devotion in general, including topics such as jealousy (this will be an upcoming post, in fact), discernment, hearing the gods, and living with spirits. (The godspouse book Jo and I are collaborating on is still happening, and I will be going back to actively working on that again once I’m caught up with inventory, custom orders, and posting here and at my Pagan Square blog regularly again, but in the meantime I can certainly answer questions.)
- Ancestor work, including my work with the Queens (my Disir).
- Other things I’m not thinking of right now
So, with that in mind, feel free to ask away! You can either ask right here by commenting below (comments are moderated and I will probably keep the ones to this post private so your question can be anonymous) or email me at wodandis at gmail dot com.