As a devotional exercise, I am inviting all readers of this blog to email me your questions about Odin (send them to email@example.com, or comment to this page), and I will do my best to answer as many as possible here on the blog as I am able to. By this, I do NOT mean your questions about Odin and yourself (i.e. your relationship with Him). What I mean is, send me your questions about Odin Himself, such as:
1. Things you’ve heard or read about Him somewhere but you’re not sure whether they’re from the lore or are somebody’s UPG (Unverified Personal Gnosis), and you’d like to know which.
2. Things you’ve read or heard about Him somewhere that confuse or disturb you and you’d like some clarification.
3. Things you think you’ve read in the lore and would like to try to remember where you read it.
4. Odin’s specific likes, dislikes, associations and affinities, ranging from herbs and stones, to foods and drinks, acceptable offerings, pop culture references, Tarot and runes, what have you. This last category of questions may be answered partly from research into folklore, etc., and partly from my UPG; I will let you know which, of course.
Examples of acceptable questions, based on the above categories, would include:
1. ”Did Odin really have to subject Himself to wearing female clothing and being used sexually by Freyr‘s male relatives for nine days in order to learn seidhr?” OR “Is there actually a story in the lore about Frigga being unfaithful to Odin?”
2. “Was there really a Germanic tribe during the Migration Era that was in the habit of draining the blood of captives into large bowls as an offering to Wodan (Odin)?” OR “People keep telling me that Odin is only interested in kings and heroes and wouldn’t be interested in an ordinary person like me today; does the lore ever show Him interacting with ordinary people?”
3. ”Where in the lore does the story of King Vikar occur?” OR “In what saga do the Swedes decide to sacrifice one of their princes to Odin every year for ten years running?”
4. “What herbs are good to burn for Odin as recels (incense)?” OR “What Tarot card associations do you feel Odin has?”
Other examples of more UPG-related questions that are perfectly okay to ask:
“How has being married to Odin changed your life?”
“What daily devotions do you practice for Him?”
“What are your favorite Odin-flavored books/songs/movies (beyond the basic lore stuff)?”
And so on, etc.
I am more than happy to give you answers based on my own experiences, opinions, and UPG in my ten years of being married to Him and thirty years prior to that of having Him always hovering on the periphery of my life–as long as the questions are not too deeply personal. (In other words, I keep the more intimate aspects of our relationship private.) I’m also happy to give advice on how to deepen your own relationship with Him/understanding of Him in a general way that does not cross the boundary into speaking about your own particular situation.
Of course, if you have a question that doesn’t fit neatly into one of these four categories, go ahead and send it! I’ll answer it if I can, and try my best to find an answer for you if I can’t. Again, the only types of questions I will not answer as part of this are queries about my own private life with Him and queries about your own relationship. (Such as, “What is your sex life with Odin like?” or “Can you tell me if Odin wants to marry me?”) Otherwise, send ‘em!
My hope is that this will lead to the collection of quite a bit of Odin-related lore, UPG and trivia accumulating here at my blog, and possibly also some interesting conversations.